ctrl+r reload data sometimes does not work  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

May 28 2024

Hi,

I have been away from trading for a while and I am hoping to get back to it this fall. Over the time away I have been ensuring I collect the Interactive Broker's data in the MC database files. So the Scanner loads 82 symbols and I have a script that sends keystrokes to step all of those charts to ensure that data is loaded one by one then I save the data at the end when I close MC. I don't check every chart every night to ensure they are correct. No point if I am not trading.

I just noticed two stocks had a consolidation and in both of them there is missing daily/weekly bar data even though the (30min, 15min, 5min, 1min and 1 second) bars display okay with no missing data,

The first one was symbol WEED on the TSX exchange (Toronto Stock Exchange). It would not reload on Saturday but for some reason it did it properly today. It did it when I had zoomed in but that appears to be a coincidence because that does not work for the 2nd stock.

The other stock is symbol BN "Bank Of Nova Scotia". This one refuses to reload the daily/weekly bars when I press ctrl+R. I checked the Interactive Brokers TWS (Traders Work Station) daily and weekly bar charts and the data is there.

I have seen this issue before with a consolidation but it is pretty rare and I have never reported it. Has anyone noticed this issue and figured out how to force the reload to work. By the way, although I don't believe this has anything to do with the issue, I am still using MC64 Version 11.0 (Build 15808) under Windows 7.

Thanks,
John

bowlesj3

May 30 2024

I am considering deleting the symbol in the quote manager and creating it again just to see what happens. However I will hold back until August because I am sure that support is curious as to why this happens every so often after a consolidation or split. Whether they have time to look at the bug as always depends on priorities. So much to do and so little time. I know this well.

Kate MultiCharts

Jun 17 2024

Hi John,

Please try the following steps:
  1. Close IB TWS and all MultiCharts components and make sure there are no MC processes left in the Task Manager → Details tab → Description column.
  2. Open QuoteManager and rename the problematic symbol: double-click → change the Symbol Name.
  3. Add the symbol from the data source: Instrument → Add Symbol → From Data Source.
  4. Create a 1 day chart for it.
If it doesn't help, please join our live chat Monday-Friday from 5:30 AM till 12:00 PM ET to demonstrate it via remote connection.

Also, since MultiCharts 14 there’s a convenient Historical Data Downloader tool in QuoteManager.

bowlesj3

Jun 17 2024

Thanks Kate, I did these slightly modified steps which I believe you assumed I would figure out. At the end I give the results and ask 4 questions.

I Closed IB TWS and all MultiCharts components and make sure there are no MC processes left in the Task Manager
I Opened QuoteManager and rename the problematic symbol from BN to BN_OLD
____I actually originally chose BN_Old for the new name but MC64 forces it to capitals which caused it to not find the data
____I eventually figured out what was going on and renamed it again to BN_OLD with capitals and I redid all my notes to save you reading.
Close QuoteManager
Open TWS so I could get at the data source.
Open QuoteManager
Add the symbol BN from the data source (Note that BN is actually Brookfield Corp - My error).
I left the quote manager up.
I copied my standard stock scanner workspace.
Started MC64 off-line and opened the workspace copy.
I deleted all symbols except BN. So this means I have 7 charts (Weekly, daily, 30m 15m 5m 1m 1-second)
I added BN_OLD (in capitals) as a second symbol in this copied work space.
I saved the new copied workspace and I closed MC64.
I closed the quote manager so all MC processes are gone.
I Opened MC64 On Line
I opened the copy of that scanner work space.
So the result is the BN (Which is on the TSE under the smart exchange) loads the data that was missing from my reload tries.
____Specifically from daily bars 2023/June/16 (Friday) onward to (the last completed trading day in the daily bar data.
BN_OLD shows the data from way back in 2007 to 2023/June/14 which is a Wednesday. One day is missing which is 2023/June/15.

So I am wondering if this one day of missing data in the BN_OLD is creating the problem with the ctrl+R reload not working??????
I am wondering if manually entering that one day would have fixed it but then again there was no way to know.
So getting back to your post Kate, what you suggested both worked and did not work.
So I have some questions
____#1 Is there any way to get the data from BN_OLD into the BN data?
____#2A If there was a way to get the BN_OLd data merged into the BN Data how would I get the missing 2023/June/15 date in?
____#2B If I added the missing day of data into BN_OLD and deleted BN and renamed BN_OLD to BN and did ctrl+r would it get the recent data?
____#3 Is it still worth coming in on live chat or should I try #2B first (assuming I can manually add that day of data).

bowlesj3

Jun 17 2024

I decided to go ahead and try #2B in my last post. It worked. Here is exactly what I did.

I closed everything down including TWS.
I opened the quote manager.
I added the missing day of daily bar data to the BN_OLD symbol. Specifically 2023/June/15.
_____I copied the day before price and volume data for now.
I changed the BN symbol to BN_NEW.
I changed the BN_OLD symbol to BN again.
I closed the quote manager.
I started TWS.
I started MC64 online
I opened that special work space.
I went to the BN symbol and did ctrl+r on the daily bar chart. It reloaded all the proper data as it could not do before.
The weekly bars also appear correct now as well.
I can go back to the IB chart and get the correct data for that 2023/June/15 day now.

Thanks Kate! If it were not for your suggestion I never would have thought to try this. I had to learn a few things before the idea occurred to me.

John

bowlesj3

Jun 17 2024

Regarding the solution, is it possible that the ctrl+r reload function was failing because the last bar that MC thought was suppose to be there was in fact not there?

As I said in the first post this is not the first time I have seen this. Maybe the 2nd or 3rd. At least I now know what to do if it happens again. In that event I will report what I find.