2 license best practices - data  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
BossHog

Jun 06 2024

Hi,
When using 2 installations of MC (the second being the offline edition), what are best use practices regarding bringing data into the offline version, given that IQfeed can only be used on one instance of MC at a time? If I connect to IQfeed on weekends to bring data into the offline version, how is it held/cached/formatted, etc. for use when I disconnect from IQfeed on the offline version to use IQfeed for my live trading installation?
thanks,
David

Kate MultiCharts

Jun 10 2024

Hi BossHog,

When you download data, it gets cached first, then it’s saved to your local database after you close MultiCharts, or if you use the Flush Cached Data to Database option (in the File menu of the main window or in the Edit menu in QuoteManager).

You can check the data available in your database by right-clicking the symbol in QuoteManager → Edit Data.
This data will be used next time you create a chart.

Please see How to Save, Store and Manage Data for more info.

Note that when you plot a chart next time, MultiCharts might request some missing historical data from your provider.
To avoid it, you can switch to Offline mode, uncheck the Download missing historical data box (File → Preferences → Data tab) or add some extra symbols to your login/password in the IQFeed settings so that it wouldn’t be possible to connect to your IQFeed account.

BossHog

Jun 10 2024

Thank-you Kate. Great answer.
David